While I was in North Berwick, we went through my fathers stash of photos and found lots of slides made by my grandfather showing my father as a teenager and me and my sister as babies and young kids.
I bought my father a Plustek OpticFilm 35mm slide scanner and a Flickr Pro account. He’s using Windows XP (I don’t think this model works on Linux). The results are pretty good, though the Plustek OpticFilm scanner should make it easier to get better colors in its QuickScan mode. Its full scan mode can do better but its UI is incomprehensible to mortals. It can scan 35mm negatives too. He’s scanning a few each day, adding to his Flickr photostream.
Some links to notable pictures so far:
- My parents after their marriage at the Edinburgh registry office, outside the Carlton hotel.
- Me, as a large ugly baby with bad fashion sense even for the 70s.
- My father as a sullen teenager in 1955.
- My father as a teenager on some icy slope in Austria in 1956, without proper equipment.
- My grandfather in 1954, looking cooler than he was.