Jonathon Jongsma recently fixed up the “Programming with gtkmm” book so the result of docbook2pdf is fairly useable. We’d like to improve it even more and maybe sell hard copies online. But I think we need more control over docbook2pdf (a wrapper for jw). For instance:
- We need to scale images down instead of cropping them.
- Ideally, the links to the reference documentation would be real hyperlinks in the PDF.
- It would be nice to specify a different base URL (an XML entity in our Docbook) for the PDF than for the HTML, to make the URLs absolute instead of relative.
- A background block for the source code examples would provide some structure.
- Syntax highlighting of the source code examples would be really nice, but we don’t have that in the HTML either. (It’s inserted in the Docbook automatically, from our real source code.)
Does anyone have experience with this?
Of course, I also plan to review all the text and make improvements to the content where necessary. It’s been a few years since I read it all through.